Friday, November 13, 2015

Beyond graduation day

A week ago I was privileged to be featured in a new television programme, called young achievers. I have had my own successes in life and even though I know I haven't reached my highest potential, I feel privileged to have been given an opportunity to share my experiences so far in hope to motivate and encourage other young people. Being a young, independent career women, is such a blessing. I'm so glad to know that I'm able to make a difference in my community and my country. I enjoy having my own home, taking care of those I love and making significant change in my line of work. To be a young achiever is a beautiful experience. I had just turned 23 when I got my first permanent job. So far, experience has taught me a Couple of truths about career achievement that nobody warns you about , I must firstly warn You that everyone has a unique experience .Trust me, the beginning of a fruitful career is not only about having the highest qualifications in the interview room but grace. God's purpose for your life will always prevail. If you think success is about your degree, you will be disappointed. When you are coming from university always know that your degree will take you to places but only wisdom will keep you on the right path .You need to work twice as much to keep a job than an older person performing the same duties.  You are young and people don't trust your capabilities yet. The most likely scenario is that you will change jobs after at least a year. At the beginning of your career, it is mostly about finding a job, any job until you realize you want more than just a pay check. It is very important to reflect on what path you would like to follow, most of our degrees are general, find a specific area that strikes your interest and is the best fit for your personality. Take time to listen to the experienced older colleagues, they have a lot of wisdom to offer, they might be less educated but experience is the best teacher, make friends with them. I personally have experienced stereotypes that I never got the chance to voice out. I'm tired of seeing young professionals being regarded as immature because they are not married yet nor have no children of their own. People are hesitant to give you responsibility outside the home. Some even get passed over a promotion at work simply because people doubt the maturity of single adults. I met a guy earlier on this year, who told me that people doubted his ability to lead the organization as the deputy director just because he was single. This particular stereotype is worse if you work for a religious organization. Honestly, the road doesn't get easier after you graduate; you are more responsible for your actions now than ever before. 

11 comments:

Unknown said...

A great read Santy!

Khwima Singini said...

Good aspect, get the degree and let wisdom rule. Rule number one be your own bosd

khulumbo said...

Quite a motivator

Unknown said...

Wow!! Thats great Asante. I like the Sanguinity in you.

Sana said...

Oh yes,exactly

Sana said...

Thank you

Sana said...

Thank you my friend

Deric ZANERA Ph.D. said...

Cool piece and fact !

Deric ZANERA Ph.D. said...

Cool piece and a fact

Unknown said...

Exactly how you sounded today in person :) inspiring

Unknown said...

Exactly how you today in person :) inspiring