As I travelled from lilongwe to Blantyre a few weeks ago, an old man probably in his fifties started shouting at a little girl, 12 or 13 years old for sitting on his seat. He shouted at her with no shame at all. He went on and on blaming the girl, calling her names and all. The bus was so full and everyone was scrambling for the few seats. In actual sense it was another man who had taken his seat but instead of confronting him. He decided to insult this poor girl, obviously it was easier for him. In Malawi many girls suffer verbal and physical abuse because most adults believe they have a right to talk to children any way they please. What striked me the most was that, some women sitting close to the scene started defending the girl. They asked the man to leave the little girl alone. Pleading with him to spare her the embassment. I loved the fact that these women decided to defend her. The world has abused girls from a young age for way too long with older women believing it was tradition. They watched as their daughters were humiliated by boys and older men, all in the name of culture. Little did they know that practices such as Kuchotsa Fumbi (forced sex after initiation) were meant to satisfy sex hungry men not make their daughters better wives. The world has stood silent to domestic violence saying "zambanja salowelela" (what happens in marriage is nobody's business). The Internet has stood silent as social media has been flooded with misogynistic kind of advise. Telling rape victims its their fault for dressing inappropriately whilst men are not taught self control. Watching those two women defend this young girl got me so excited. It was evidence of a new era in which older women are tired of being onlookers, tired of staying silent and are moving on to protect and mentor girls. As the weeks have gone by and I have seen a couple of high profile women's events take place in commemoration of the Women's month in Lilongwe. My heart is filled with hope and joy to see us move steadily towards self awareness and sisterhood. The privilege to make acquaintance with an older woman to look up to and a girl to mentor should be every lady's goal in this day and age. Gone are the days when women competed with each other. Strong women are standing up to bring forth a generation of elegant, successful women. The song of inequality among men and women will one day be history if society realises that fighting a war against women is like shooting yourself in the heart for we are the engine that drives the whole system. We are mothers to all the unborn future leaders. In the professional world, we are still experiencing a gap at decision making levels. Women are getting educated but are mostly lost in the crowd of assistants and lower/middle management levels. Most successful women we know move from one department of government to another, not necessarily being replaced by another woman. It's quite obvious that the same women are moving across from executive director in one organisation to managing director in another. We cannot be satisfied with this trend, we cannot sit and assume that we are getting more women into power while we are not getting new faces. We have more young women getting into university but professionally we need to do more to create more leaders/ managers. Let us work on every level to make sure that women are progressing at every level from girls to educated independent young women and moving on to Senior managers and national leaders in their field of work even beyond. I believe womanhood is the most beautiful gift I have ever received and I will not let anyone treat me or my sisters all around the world any less because of it. I am every woman
9 comments:
Equality is the only way to go to make our world a better place
I liked the whole story attached to this blog, but the story has much more to it than an old man shouting. I believe success of a women also is contributed by her up bring. I have travel between Lilongwe and Blantyre, you would see girls not giving they sit to older or pregnant women or even mothers with under children. I would always give my sit to some of these woman while these girls are busy on social media. I believe these are some qualities of good leadership " humility and humble " , aka " ubuntu".
Yes yes Fred
You are right Evanz, all humans must be taught good values.Regardless whether they are male or female, the ability to recognise another person in need than ourselves is both a product of humility and godliness.
Nice read. There is a growing feminist movement in Malawi. Young ladies who have opened up and are ready to stand by their rights. It is without question that women in Malawi, for a long time, have been victims of traditions and culture. They are often looked down by men. If this has to change, there will be a need for an overhaul change and it is not that easy. Men enjoy and feel satisfied when looking down upon a woman and expect resistance for that. On the other hand, there is also lack of support among women themselves. Much as men are ready to support each other, but this is not the case with you women. You are always pulling down each other and talking behind someone's back. That is the context the feminist movement in Malawi is rising on and it clearly shows that the work to fight against all these negative forces will not be that easy.
Wonder I agree with you its not gonna be easy, but I know women are capable of change. The more they become awakened the more they will realise their true meaning and potential. I have personally interacted with great women both young and older. I realise having goals bigger than yourself,does not give you the luxury of backbiting or pulling others down because you are too busy concentrating on the important things and there is little or no time left for cheap talk.what every woman needs now is education,self-awereness and goals. Dzizakhala better
Oh my this is so insightful its so true, not a lot of women get to the top, qualified or not.it is a man's world but I believe we women should uplift each other for the betterment of our fellow sisters
Oh my this is so insightful its so true, not a lot of women get to the top, qualified or not.it is a man's world but I believe we women should uplift each other for the betterment of our fellow sisters
Post a Comment